Sunday, May 17, 2009

Adding Another Hive Body

Last weekend, after looking at the frames in our first hive body, we decided that it was time to add another hive body or box. We "suited" up in our mechanic's overalls, hats, veils and gloves, made more syrup for feeding, and headed out to the bee hives.

Since this would be our first time adding a box, we talked about the steps to get everything done and what we would need. We wanted to get done in a timely manner so the hives weren't open too long, but also wanted to add the hive body, change the feed, check the frames, and see if we could spot the queen. All while a bunch of bees were buzzing around!

We also did not smoke the bees. They all seem so gentle and don't seem to get upset, so we did not even light or take the smoker outside with us.

After opening the hive and taking off the feeder, I first loosened the frames so they would be easier to remove and take out. Here is a picture:


I next started lifting out the frames and looking at them. One of the first I frames I took out had the queen! I knew she was there since I could see all her hard work, but it was good to actually see her. Here she is - she is the larger one in the center with the white dot on her! Long live Queen Latifa (so named by my Dad). You can also see the queen's attendant bees circling around her.

Well, after checking some of the frames, I added the new hive body, moved up two of the frames from the lower box into the new box, added two new frames in the lower box and eight in the new box, put the feeder back on, and put on the lid. Whew! Here is what the hive now looks like:

Once I was done working my hive, Rod worked his. We also saw his queen. Both hives, to my inexperienced eye, looked like what I thought they would. This has been such a learning experience and each time I go and look at the bees, I see something new.

Here is a cool picture of a bee on the front of Rod's hive. You can see the pollen on her legs. She is returning to the hive after foraging. It is interesting to see the different colors of pollen the bees bring back - we have seen yellow, red, orange and a bright green.


2 comments:

Dave said...

How many frames had the bees drawn out ?

Kimberly Nichols said...

There were about 8 out of the 10 frames that were drawn out, with capped brood and capped honey. Very exciting. The only ones that were not fully drawn out were the two on each outside in both hives. Those two had some brood but not fully to the edges, most of it was in the center and upper center areas. We will probably check the hives again this coming weekend to see what is going on!

Post a Comment